What’s the Difference Between Handmade and Synthetic Wigs?
August 31 2021
If you’re experiencing hair loss, you don’t have to let it take control of your life. With all the effective hair replacement treatments available now at the Hair Restoration Institute, we can help you get back a full head of natural-looking hair so you can take control of your hair loss. Everyone has different needs, so not every one’s hair replacement plan will have the same treatments. For some people, a natural-looking handmade wig is a quick and simple solution, but how do you choose the right one for you?
Why are wigs a good solution for hair loss?
There are many advantages to choosing wigs for your hair replacement option.
- Quick. Many hair growth treatments take time to work because they rely on your natural hair follicles to regrow hair, which can take time. Wigs are a great option during those transitional periods because they instantly cover areas that are thinning, and you can simply remove them when hair grows in.
- Flexible. Wigs can be a permanent or temporary solution for hair loss. If you have a medical condition or are undergoing treatments that have resulted in hair loss, a wig is a great temporary solution until you’ve completed your treatment and your hair grows back. But wigs are also flexible enough to be a long-term solution if you need them.
- Customized. You can get natural-looking wigs in a variety of hair colors and styles, so you can choose the look you want every day that looks perfect for you. You can use the same wig every day or switch it up and try some different colors for special occasions.
What are synthetic and natural wigs?
- Synthetic. Synthetic wigs are made out of acrylic or plastic fibers that look just like hair. They’re assembled with a machine in a style that you normally can’t change the way you can style regular hair.
- Handmade. Natural, handmade wigs are made with 100% human hair, sewn together by hand. This makes handmade wigs behave more like natural hair that you can style and shape.
What are the advantages of natural handmade wigs?
- Styling. Natural handmade wigs can be styled with heated tools like curling rods and flat irons, just like natural hair. On the other hand, you’ll need to avoid heat with synthetic wigs, because that can melt the fibers that make up the imitation hair. To get a different hairstyle, you’ll need several different synthetic wigs, but you are free to style a natural hair wig any way you wish.
- Natural look. Because they’re made with real human hair, natural handmade wigs look more like your own hair than a synthetic wig, which is important if people will see you up close and personal. The look and feel of natural hair cannot be imitated by a synthetic wig.
- Color. Synthetic hair can’t reflect light exactly the same way as natural human hair, which is why synthetic wigs can’t ever look completely natural. Because we see color in light, the way light reflects off a surface can change the way its color looks. Handmade wigs have more natural-looking hair colors, and you can even dye them just like natural hair if you’d like!
How long does a natural handmade wig last?
With the right care, a handmade natural wig can last a long time. How long they last vary based on how often they are worn and washed, as well as how they are stored. That’s why it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s directions for washing and storing your wig when not in use.
At the Hair Restoration Institute, we offer a full line of natural-looking handmade wigs with 100% natural human hair, customized to your color, length, and style specifications so they look completely natural on you.
To see if natural handmade wigs are the right hair replacement option for you, make an appointment at the Hair Restoration Institute today. You can book a no-obligation, private consultation with our on-site custom wig specialist to get started. If you’re not sure whether wigs are the right choice for you, book a consultation appointment with our hair loss specialists and we’ll develop a customized hair replacement plan for you. You can find us at 1201 West Lancaster Avenue in Fort Worth, Texas, or call or 817-854-HAIR (4247) for your complimentary consultation.