Is Baldness Preventable?
January 16 2022
If you have relatives with significant hair loss, or if you’ve been bothered lately but a few too many hairs in the shower drain, you may be wondering if baldness is an inevitable part of your future. Is baldness preventable? The simple answer is that baldness is preventable in many people, as long as you take action now with some of the effective hair loss prevention and restoration treatments available today.
What are the different causes of hair loss?
This is an important question because it’s the one that helps our hair loss experts at the Hair Restoration Institute assess your hair loss and determine which treatment steps to take to prevent loss, slow hair loss, or replace lost hair in your personalized hair restoration treatment plan. Many times, causes of hair loss include:
- Genetics. Our genetic makeup pre-determines a lot of things, and hair loss is one of them. Recent scientific research has shown that some people, due to genetics, have weaker hair follicles that are more prone to hair loss. When genetics are the cause, it can feel like a challenge to address your hair loss, but with so many different options available today, it is possible to restore your hair to the thick head of hair you enjoyed in your younger years.
- Hormones. Hormones – specifically, a certain type of testosterone – can work on receptors in the follicles to affect their hair growth. When hormones are the cause, it’s sometimes possible to balance out the testosterone levels to prevent or slow hair loss. Other treatments also help to restore or prevent loss due to hormone imbalances.
- Stress. Stress can play a large role in hair loss because it can force follicles into their resting stage – the stage where they no longer grow hair – sooner than normal. Although the resting phase is a normal part of the growth cycle, when your follicles are in this stage for too long, or when too many follicles are resting at once, thinning becomes noticeable.
- Medications and medical treatments. Some medications, such as chemotherapy, can cause hair loss. Though these life-saving treatments are necessary, scientific research is beginning to find ways to help you preserve your hair during these treatments. Other medications may also slow down the follicles’ hair production, causing thinning.
What are some of the things I can do to prevent hair loss?
Depending on the cause of your hair loss, there are often several steps you can take in order to help slow down the thinning, stop it completely, and/or restore the hair that you have lost.
Eat well. A healthy body on the inside helps nourish your hair follicles, helping them combat some of the more common causes of hair loss. Eat a balanced diet with plenty of healthy lean protein, vegetables and fruits, and whole grains, and make sure you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals such as vitamins C and D, zinc, biotin, and iron.
Reduce stress. If your expert hair loss professional at the Hair Restoration Institute has indicated that stress is a factor in your hair loss, there are several steps you can take to help reduce stress, such as taking on fewer projects, incorporating meditation and relaxation into your day, and practicing deep breathing exercises regularly. If you’ve recently experienced a traumatic life event, get help to find a way to express your feelings through therapy, physical exercise, and in other healthy ways to help reduce the impact of this event on your life.
Take action early. The earlier you start to address your hair loss, the better the outcome. With so many treatments available that can stop hair loss, slow it, or help restore lost hair, you don’t have to go it alone and wonder whether baldness will happen in your future. At the Hair Restoration Institute, our caring professionals are ready to help you determine the cause of your hair loss and create a hair restoration plan that’s personalized just for you. Some of our early hair loss prevention treatments include:
- Exclusive HRI hair growth stimulating haircare products
- PRP hair loss therapy
- Low-level laser light therapy
- And much more!
If you’re concerned about hair loss prevention and restoration, make a free consultation appointment today at the Hair Restoration Institute. Our friendly, professional hair loss experts can help assess your individual needs and find a hair loss solution that works for you. You can be sure that your consultation is discreet and confidential. You can find us at 1201 West Lancaster Avenue in Fort Worth, Texas, or call 817-854-HAIR (4247) for your complimentary consultation with an experienced hair loss professional.